Thursday, July 8, 2010

Assessment that Works

Yesterday in class we focused on assessment and discussed what a good assessment looks like. What struck me in our textbook chapter, and our class discussion was the idea that good assessment shows the learning process and growth of a student, and it is has feedback that is meaningful to the students. So yesterday afternoon I set about to think how my partner and I could make assessment meaningful to our students. My goal for today's work is to continue to look at our assessment options to try to ensure that our assessment does have meaning outside our classroom. I think our project of having 5th grade students research and then compose a song to sing at their graduation will excite them and create a meaningful experience, because in the end they will be able to share all of the hard work that they have done with their friends and family at their graduation.


Below is a page I found on assessment in the arts that had some ideas on assessment. I liked the fishbowl conversation idea, as it gave a way to represent and document the learning process and discussions that take place in a daily classroom.

http://www.eed.state.ak.us/tls/frameworks/arts/6assess3.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment