Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Digging Right In

I am posting now after 5.5 hours in a classroom looking at the textbook, and working with a fellow music educator to revise a plan. When I started the day I was quite hesitant (as I posted earlier) about how to get students to compose, and I was very worried and hung up on the intricate details of the project. Five and a half hours later, I am feeling MUCH better about the project and excited that I am starting to work on something that will actually work. At this point I have a timeline of the project, a rationale, and what the hook, objectives, and 21st century skills students will walk away with.

Although it isn't easy - it is nice to shed old ways of thinking and step away from the details and look at the big picture. A fellow educator of mine keeps telling me "work smart not hard", that students are capable and eager to get their hands dirty - we just have to let them. I need to continue to shed those layers of obsessive compulsive behavior and trust in my students and their abilities. I am going to let them work together to create the lyrics and not worry about composition software - and let the students teach me something new! Here's a good day of shedding, and a positive outlook for tomorrow and continuing the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment