Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beginning the Project with hesitance

Today we started work on partnering up with a fellow classmate to collaborate on a project for our students to work on based on the Project Based Learning Model that is interdisciplinary and involves technology. My partner and I decided to work on a 5th grade graduation song composition unit of study. I heard the idea yesterday in class and thought it would be a really wonderful end of the year project to observe students progress with the elements of music.

My biggest fear at this point is falling into the pitfall of layering technology over my existing way of teaching. I am currently struggling with how to incorporate technology into the writing part of the process. I know that there is finale and noteflight as available software to students, but if If I am thinking about my previous 5th graders - using a program like that would stifle them. The students not in band and chorus are struggling with their rhythm notation, and the names of the lines on the staff - and I want a program that goes around that issue and gets to the heart of their creativity.

Does anyone know of a composition software that allows elementary students to compose in a less traditional way?

No comments:

Post a Comment